Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

With the release of the remake today I thought it would be nice to take a peek at the original again. I say again because yes, I did see it when it opened way back in 1980 (fuck me, where have the bloody years gone) and I'm happy (and hopeful!) to say I've not aged as much as this film has. This is, of course, besides the point. Along with John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN this set the rules for a bucket full of slasher filmes to comes and pretty much designed the genre until Freddy Krueger came along. You of course know Jason doesn't kill a fly in this one, it's all Momma Voorhees doing the slicing and dicing with a penchant for throat cutting in this particular feature. Tom Savini provided some nice red stuff here and Harry Manfredini introduced us to the now legendary "chi chi chi....cha ha ha" music which is now as recognizable and the James Bond music. It also made "Strip Monopoly" a game of choice for teenagers nation wide! It was an interesting way to start a franchise but things didn't really start to juice until we hit the second part and be sure to look for a young Kevin Bacon in an early role.

1 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

I saw this in a drive in with friends...I was sick scared for the rest of the season....

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home