Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Defiance

It's taken me two weeks and three viewings of this film to try and figure out just what I thought of it and this is the best way I can sum it up. See it on the big screen for the action, buy the DVD for the story. This true story of two Jewish brothers in Poland who help hide and protect people from the Nazi death camps. This is of course a very vague statement but I feel you should discover the subtleties of this story for yourself. Edward Zwick does an amazing job directing and the score is up for an Oscar but I'm still scratching my head about certain casting choices. Whille Daniel Craig certainly has the box office drawing power right now and his acting is fine I can't help but think he was wrong for his part seriously coming across at times as James Bond Nazi Fighter and this is not a good thing. While Craig is listed as the star this is in fact Liev Schreiber's film and it's about time. He is one of those great actors who has been plagued by bad parts in equally bad films and it is nice to see him shine like he does in DEFIANCE. Getting back to my original statement though, DEFIANCE suffers from trying to tell a serious bit of history and be a Hollywood film at the same time and I'm still undecided if it fully works. Either way, it should be on your list of films to see right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martimer said...

Alrite then ... on my list. Thanks.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Yep, I'm going to check it out in the next couple of weeks.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home