Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

Despite my concerns about Guy Ritchie's rendition of the Holmes legend I had every intention of being there for the Christmas day opening. Alas, life does get in the way sometimes as does my snobbish and hypocritical tendencies. I say hypocritical in the sense that I always love the Basil Rathbone Sherlock pictures when in reality they have little if nothing at all sometimes to do with what Doyle wrote yet I can jump up and down and complain about Guy possibly doing the same thing. Hypocrite! Snobbish in "why can't the studios come up with something new instead of bastardizing the classics and WTF, Downey Jr. as Holmes ????????....never going to work".

Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong!

Right from the get go this Sherlock is action, action, action and it packs one hell of a powerful kick. Downey is fantastic and Jude Law more than keeps up. Even though the story is unlike any Doyle ever provided it captures the nature of his universe and there are enough obscure references to keep the hard core fans happy and it's great to see Downey sans deerstalker. An interesting thing Ritchie does with baddie Mark Strong is film in such as fashion as he often resembles the late Jeremy Brett which is quite disturbing. All around fabulous fun and like the new STAR TREK leaves you wishing the sequel were coming out next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Yeah I loved this one too. Hopefully some sequels!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous CJ said...

Oh I am sooo glad you liked it !! Downey was wonderful !!
Did you noticed the "House" similiarities that I mentioned ? Even if you didn't ...Im so glad that you liked it !! :-D

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home