Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I feel bad for what I'm about to say here as this is a Terry Gilliam film and it is of course Heath Ledger's last but truth be told THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS is nothing special. Oh yes, it's good but we've all come to expect so much more from Gilliam. The visuals are great but nothing we've not seen before. The acting is great but the characters are never developed properly to my liking. There may have been a shift of focus towards Ledger's part after his death and the way they tackle that problem with the replacement actors is a fantastic touch but I can't help feeling the story was about Christopher Plummer and Tom Waits and this is never explored as fully as it might have been. In fact, Waits hands down steals the film in my view which is saying something when Plummer is in the forefront. On a bad day Gilliam's work is better than most so this is by no means a stinker but sadly a rather forgetable piece of work and not the legacy Ledger should or will be remembered by.

1 Comments:

Anonymous CJ said...

I know that you were disapointed yet I am going to go because well...I just have to ;D

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home