Friday, February 06, 2009

Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger-London, New York, Johannesberg

Those of us old enough to have seen Eddie Murphy's RAW will once again be struck by just how influenced Rock is by Murphy. It was so strong with this HBO special I dug out RAW and compared the two and the similarities are far to great not tom mention. Still, this is unique in that it is his show shot in three cities and edited together by veteran comedic director Marty Callner. The effect is sometimes as jarring as some of Rock's material and some will like it, others wont, much like Rock himself. I'ce had the pleasure seeing him live and he's at his best when he decides to pull no punches, like he does here, and trust me, nobody is safe. Hard to say if it will hold up as well in twenty years as Murphy's RAW does but it is notable for his observations on the unfolding of the 2008 U.S. election.

1 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Yeah I really thought this was amazing. We actually saw this as it was released here in the fall...before the elections. I think it's great you compared RAW and I don't think Rock would mind at all.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home