Friday, February 06, 2009

Gran Torino

Considering the way critics have been going on about GRAN TORINO I was a bit shocked when the Academy failed to acknowledge it for the upcoming Oscars. After seeing it I now understand why.
It is not a good film!
Poorly scripted, amazingly stereotyped characters, wretched acting and a directing style which still has me shaking my head.
Yes, Clint Eastwood did direct this one and EVEN if he was trying to pay some morbid homage to the revenge films of the early '70's such as WALKING TALL or DEATH WISH it just doesn't work.
All of this aside, it is fun to watch Eastwood in the roll of the man who has somewhat outgrown his world but even his character falls mighty short in the "I can believe this" department. I did like the ending and perhaps I am being overly harsh because I expect more from an Eastwood picture than this one delivered but everybody I've spoken to about this film who WASN'T a critic agreed with me.

2 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

I've avoided this one to date, but I've heard similar reports...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I've got it onmy list, I've heard a real mix of responses. I'm not going to read the last paragraph of this till I see it...but now I'm worried.

Watched Milk last night...at first I wasn't sure I was going to see it...but it turned out to be fascinating. I grew up in a town where being gay was barely noticed , girls held hands at parties and we never thought about it...good to be reminded of how it was/isn't always like that...

Watching "The Visitor" and "Pineapple Express" later today.


Hey check out this post at my buddy in U.K about soccer. I thought about you when I read his post and how he relates things...you'll love it even if they aren't your team...

http://anothermanicstreetpreacher.blogspot.com/2009/02/oldham.html

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home