Monday, November 03, 2008

Ghost

I certainly taken my share of pokes at this film over the years so it may surprise some to see what I'm about to write........GHOST is a mighty fine little film. Sure, we love to take the piss out of Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore but both have proven their talents time and time again and here you will find them on top of their game not to mention Whoopi Goldberg is genuinely funny in this one. The acting aside, what makes GHOST special is the cleverness of the writing and it manages to pull off being a love story, murder mystery and a blooody comedy all in the same package. My biggest complaint would be with the "dark guides" but I can understand why Jerry Zucker would keep it tame as this is afterall a chick flick. I'll forgive him for that but I'll never forgive him for FIRST NIGHT which may very well be the worst film I've ever seen. A special mention must be made of the late Vincent Schiavelli who as the crazed subway spook has some of the best lines in the film. Even the dreaded pottery wheel scene holds up quite well but it all still comes down to the writing which well explains why GHOST took two Oscars in that department. For the guys out there, as far as the loathed chick flick goes you could do one hell of a lot worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home