Monday, November 03, 2008

Heavy Metal

This film version of the famous illustrated adult magazine was received with mixed reactions back in the day and sadly time has been none to kind to it either. I am of the "not happy with it" camp though I must say I found it interesting on as recent viewing. Director Gerald Potterton's choice to use almost half od the SCTV cast for vocal work will be entertaining to some though I must say I was madder than a hornet he used the late John Candy in the role of Richard Corben's DEN segment. The mostly silent adaptation of Moebius' TAARNA is the most effective rendition here which only drives home just how uneven HEAVY METAL was making it come across as an off month issue of the mag itself. The animation style is extremely limited here making it a prime candidate for an updated take soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home