Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Heart Huckabees

I have a thing for Jason Schwatzman....I love him to death but damned if I can't stand most of the characters he plays......they simply make my skin crawl and cause to wish I could jump through the screen and strangle them. I gather this is the point and he's a master at this sort of thing. As for the director, David O. Russell, I first encountered his work with SPANKING THE MONKEY and this should have been a good indicator of things to come. With I HEART HUCKABEES is doesn't hurt to have a third year of philosophy under your belt as it certainly does live up to it's billing as an existential comedy. I imagine there is enough there to entertain your average viewer but if JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE was your idea of a funny film you would do well to steer clear of this mind-bender. Oddly enough it marks the first time Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin have worked together on screen, I say odd as they look like they've been doing it for year. Jude Law and Naomi Watts are a special treat but the big surprise is seeing Mark Wahlberg hold his own beside such a grouping of talent. I truly get the feeling he will make a serious character actor in his later years and it shows in his performace here. Great to see Tippi Hedren here and you just have to "heart" Shania Twain for having the stones to go along with the joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home