Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Muriel`s Wedding

Yes, I did get up off of the couch in the last week, many times in fact. Did you really think I`d let poor Mr. Yink do his business in the corner? So, I have quite a few film to bring you up to speed on. This Australian gem which features a young Toni Collette and the music of ABBA simply must be seen to be believed. I had her sign my video of this years ago and I must say it is amazing when you look at her here as Muriel and then look at her now as...well....anything she happens to grace! The story is a basic one of the ugly duckling making good only with a down under twist and why the hell they decided to try and market this as a comedy here is beyond me. Oh sure, there are some funny elements but truth be told this is one seriously dark and heavy film. Perhaps there is some form of Aussie humor I`m missing but I strongly doubt it. Muriel`s world is one of cruelty, oppresion, confusion and pain and in the context of this flick...none of these elements can be found funny. The use of ABBA as a back drop is a curious stroke of genius and if nothing else MURIEL`S WEDDING is a showcase of the budding talents of Collette. Well worth tracking down at your local DVD shop.

1 Comments:

Blogger tango said...

I have everything she has done through "Evening".
Her performance in "Muriel's Wedding" is, in my opinion, her best. I just adore her.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home