Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hamlet

I had to roll my eyes when I came across this one in my video pile. Ethan Hawke does HAMLET...riiiiiiiiiight! I'm sure this was one of my daughter's that somehow found it's way into my stash so you can imagine my surprise when I discovered this was one hell oof a great adaptation. Michael Almereyda, the man who brought us TWISTER and ALIENS actually does a stunning job in the modern day presentation and he could have renamed it SEX, LIES AND SHAKESPEARE. As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of this trend of modernizing the big W's plays but in this case it works like a charm. Hawke is perfect as the brooding HAMLET and with an all-star supporting cast including Kyle MacLachlan, Sam Shepard and Bill Murray, who looks likes he's about to crack a joke at any second, this is one well worth a look.....far better than the Mel Gibson version if nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home