Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Julie & Julia

At this stage in the game, and I'm sorry I didn't get to blurb this one sooner, the big question is will Streep get the Oscar for this one and the answer would be probably no. While many say the split is between her and Sandra Bullock in THE BLIND SIDE but for some reason folks are forgetting Gabourey Sidibe in PRECIOUS : BASED ON THE NOVEL PUSH BY SAPPHIRE who I think might sneak away with the win but nevermind that, we're talking about JULIE & JULIA.
Nora Ephron scripted an amazing hybrid of blogger Julie Powell's book and a mutated version of chef Julia Child's life and presents us with a juxtaposed movie of supreme import. Serious, rather than AVATAR or THE HURT LOCKER, this should have had a best picture nod. I laughed, I actually cried (tears of joy) and I absolutely loved this film. Was Streep great? Yes but the big surprise for me was Stanley Tucci and Amy Adams. I could go on and on about JULIE & JULIA but I won't other than to say it was great to see Ephron utilize Dan Aykroyd's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE skit and you should buy the DVD rather than rent it, watch it once, watch the extra featrues and watch it again and then the complexities of this work will be clearer. Bon appetit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home