Sunday, March 14, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

I still have to research a thing or two before I blurb this Tim Burton film proper but if you were thinking of seeing it by all means do as it's fabulous.

and by now most of you have seen this and I've taken ages to follow up.

All around a fantastic surprise. I had concerns about Johnny Depp as the Hatter due to the advance posters, just didn't like the costume and makeup design. Five seconds after he hit the screen my fears were confirmed only to have them go "poof" ten seconds later and this now ranks up there as one of Depp's best performances in my mind. It was interesting to see Burton play this one "safe" as it were as the material was so strange there wasn't much need to weird things out. Great visuals, wonderful vocal cameos (Alan Rickman as Blue Caterpillar is excellent and listen for Christopher Lee) and proper use of the 3-D make this a pleasant surprise but what TRULY shocked me was the audience response and this is what I needed to confirm. During the scene where Hatter recites the poem of the Jabberwocky I was happy to hear various patrons narrating along only to be utterly shocked when most of the crowd were speaking along by the end. To hear a thousand lus people say "galumphing" is an absolute treat and it happened in the other three screenings I attended and it's the only time, aside from established cult films, I've witnessed this.
For those of you left who have not seen...get yer' arse down the hole!

2 Comments:

Blogger Martimer said...

Hmmmm ... the trailer looked good.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Jingle said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/easter-sunday-awards-to-fill-your-basket/

free for you,
Have fun!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home