Sunday, March 07, 2010

THE OSCAR LINE 2010-HOW TO WIN BEERS AND PISS OF YOUR SO CALLED FRIENDS

I went to my local bookie, Jimmy the Nose, to lay some bets on this year's Oscars and was promptly told to fawk off and git a life though he'd be more than happy to take my money if I wanted to bet against Jeff Bridges. Ain't happening so now it's down to a beer and bragging rights between Candy Minx (www.gnosticminx.blogspot.com ) and myself. Here is how I see it playing out.

COSTUME DESIGN
Safe bet-NINE
Dr. K. bet-THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS, because there is still a lot of love for Heath and it has to win something and it sure as shit won't be ART DIRECTION

ANIMATED FEATURE
Safe ber-CORALINE
Dr. K. bet-FANTASTIC MR. FOX, this is a hard one to call but I think this will edge CORALINE out

MAKEUP
Safe bet-STAR TREK
Dr. K. bet-STAR TREK, come on....against IL DIVO and THE YOUNG VICTORIA?!?!?!? This should be a NO BRAINER.

VISUAL EFFECTS
ONLY BET-AVATAR
if it loses this one I'll eat a pickled beet jar!

ART DIRECTION
ditto....AVATAR though there is a slim chance SHERLOCK HOLMES might upset

ACTOR, SUPPOTING
Safe bet-WOODY HARRELSON
Dr. K. bet-CHRISTOPH WALTZ, he DESERVES it but Woody has friends in...ahem..."high" places.

SHORT FILM, LIVE ACTION
Safe Bet-MIRACLE FISH
Dr. K. bet-THE DOOR

SHORT FILM, ANIMATED
Safe bet-FRENCH ROAST
Dr. K. bet-GRANNY O'GRIMM'S SLEEPING BEAUTY

ACTRESS, SUPPORTING
cluster fuck territory this
Safe bet-Mo'Nique
Dr. K. bet-same as that PRECIOUS flick is getting some serious props though Maggie Gyllenhaal could stun the audience with a win

SCREENPLAY, ADAPTED
another tough category
Safe Bet-believe it or not UP IN THE AIR
Dr. K. bet-a long shot but DISTRICT 9 and I'm still split on this or PRECIOUS.....hard one to call

SOUND EDITING
Safe bet-AVATAR
Dr. K. bet-love to see STAR TREK get it but AVATAR will

SOUND MIXING
ditto

ACTRESS, LEADING
Safe bet-Sandra Bullock
Dr. K. bet-could kill me in the final points but I have a funny feeling Gabourey Sidibe will snag this though many feel it's too early but as I mentioned, PRESCIOUS has props and some serious love.

FILM EDITING
Safe bet-AVATAR
Dr. K. bet-this could be the one DISTRICT 9 snags but I'd play it safe with AVATAR

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Safe bet-who the fuck knows!
Dr. K. bet-THE PROPHET

ORIGINAL SONG
Safe Bet-THE WEARY KIND
Dr.K. bet-DOWN IN NEW ORLEANS, because folks loved that damn PRINCESS AND THE FROG and that short fellow Newman is due for another

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Safe bet-AVATAR though it shouldn't
Dr. K. bet-I don't suggest you put your money on it but INGLORIOUS BASTERDS....damn but the cinematography in that film was great!

ORIGINAL SCORE
Safe bet-AVATAR
Dr. K. bet-hmmmmmm yep...same!

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Safe bet-THE LAST CAMPAIGN OF GOVENOR BOOTH GARDNER
Dr. K. bet-THE LAST TRUCK:CLOSING OF A GM PLANT

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Safe bet-THE COVE
Dr. K. bet-would love to see FOOD, INC. snag it but THE COVE is the pick.

SCREENPLAY, ORIGINAL
Safe bet-THE HURT LOCKER
Dr. K. bet-INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

ACTOR, LEADING
JEFF BRIDGES------don't bother picking anything else and if he doesn't walk away with gold it wil be a major upset...like the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS winning the Stanley Cup or something!

DIRECTING
Safe bet-James Cameron
Dr. K. bet-love to see Bigelow get it but AVATAR was such a monster I don't think it will which means we'll have to listen to Cameron bellow "Im the king of the whatever those fucking blue slinky things are called"

BEST PICTURE
Safe bet-AVATAR
Dr. K. bet-THE HURT LOCKER as I'm sure the Academy doesn't want to listen to Cameron ramble on any more than they have to.

There we go kiddies, stock up on the goodies (don't forget Asprin!) and remember...don't drink and drive...or blog for that matter!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a better bet than beer and bragging rights :-)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Great list of predictions. My list sucks I didn't include all those categories! Maybe I better
go amend my post...I LOVED Fantastic Mr. Fox...forgot to add that one...

11:29 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

You know...I gotta add something. It has always bothered me how when Cameron won an Oscar and he said "I'm the king of the world" I thought it was cute and a funny reference to his own movie line. But it's weird how so many people thought he was conceited for that quip. I thought it was endearing...but it was perceived as conceited. I know a lot of people take him as megalomanical...which he might be...but there is something about his persona and confidence and dedication that I really admire. Hey...you've got to see him on "The Actor's Studio" sometime, it was a pretty good interview although I wished they hadn't focused on Titanic and Avatar so much. He will always rule for me w/Terminator and Abyss.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Ink Casualty said...

hey.....I love the guy...but a punchline is a punchline and bloody hell...I'll use it!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Martimer said...

Well ... now his EX is Queen of the World ... and I'm happy for her. A real nice woman who really deserves this ...... It made me really happy here on International Womans Day ..... as well.

What a rough she had. I loved Strange Days but feared her career but be cut short with a list of bombs afterwards.

I'm happy for The Hurt Locker.

Avatar deserved the awards it got ... but would not have deserved best picture ... in my mind.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home