Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Carol

Call me the old Scrooge if you must but I am not fond of this Edwin L. Marin film and I'll be the first to admit it probably has to do with the fact I saw and was raised on the Alastair Sim version of the Dickens tale which as coincidence would have it was released the year Marin died. It's my blog, my opinion but in fairness many take this adaptation over SCROOGE and it is a powerhouse of talent. Reginald Owen certainly does a fine job as Ebenezer and this is the only time the Lockart family appear together on film marking June's debut and we can't forget Gene was one of London, Ontario's own nor can we forget the thought Owen's appearance is said to have influenced Carl Barks creation of SCROOGE McDUCK a character perhaps better known than Ebenzer. Marin's no nonsense style of construction works here and this one is certainly worth a look though you must be warned of Terry Kilburn. God bless him but his portrayal of Tiny Tim is so annoying you'll want to grab a crutch and smack him upside the head with it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

I LOVE this version!

Hugs and happy holidays sweetie!!!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous CJ said...

Ahh the Alastair Sims version...I remember this coming on when I was a kid and watching this with the family in the livingroom. There are some memories that linger and the this movie is definatly one of them.
Favorite sene is Christmas morning. No one has been able to capture his giddy joy with such luster as Mr Sims.
Im glad you had a good holiday, Happy New Year !! X

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home