Monday, June 16, 2008

The Rookie

One can't forget that great line delivered by Tom Hanks in A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, "there is no crying in baseball". It may be true for the game itself but when it comes to baseball films I can't think of any genre more apt to make the eyes misty. Sure, I cry when King Kong dies and when Spock buys the big Vulcan dust bowl in the sky in WRATH OF KHAN I blubber like a baby but everything else...nothing doing....except for baseball films and here I find THE ROOKIE to be the worst of them. Perhaps this is because I remember when this dream of Jimmy Morris was realized and I have to say it`s starting to make me feel old when they`re making films about sports history and it just so happens to have occured within my recent memory! I could go on and on about this film but I won`t. Dennis Quaid is in his best form here and I must say after sitting through all five season of SIX FEET UNDER it`s weird to see Rachel Griffiths playing a regular old "sane" mom. Well paced, superbly scripted with oodles and oodles of that good old baseball "never give up" gusto we all need to boost us up from time to time, don't be the least bit surprised when you notice a tear or two after seeing this one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Martimer said...

Looks like I'm going to be watching this one again. I've been looking for something to help me get my Baseball groove going.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home