Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Persepolis

This one was nominated for best animated picture at the Oscars last year and lost to RATATOUILLE. This I understand as RATATOUILLE is an amazing piece of work. For my money, PERSEPOLIS should have been taken from the animated category and been placed up there with BEST MOTION PICTURE. I can not express what a fantastic film this is. Adapted from the autobiographical graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi this tell the coming of age story of a young girl in war torn Iran and her pursuit of life, love and liberty and is just so damn powerful you will want to see it again right away. Not only is an educational film it is also a warning and a beacon of hope. For years I had wondered why Art Spiegelman's MAUS was not adapted for the screen an din discussion with many friends the general opinion was it just wouldn't work. PERSEPOLIS proves us wrong though I'm glad this was made before MAUS as the need to compare the two would have robbed much of the well deserved thunder of this project. I cannot emphasise enough how great this film is and as an added bonus we have the great Catherine Deneuve doing the voice work of the mother. I know NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN took the Oscar but had PERSEPOLIS been nominated it would have given it a damn good run for it's money!

1 Comments:

Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Looking forward to this, but I wish they would show the French version where I am instead of the US one. I know it's not a "dubbed version" per se, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home