Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Invictus

Well, for once I can honest to God say this was an earth moving film as there just so happened to be an earthquake during the jet scene! So happens to be a first for me and I can pretty much say that myth of birds knowing when such an event is about to happen is just that, a myth, as they fluttered about for a second and were right back at the seeds before the quake had even ended but back to INVICTUS.
Of all the great things I could say about Clint Eastwood let me state this, he constantly reminds me what film making is all about. Never mind the artistic liberties taken here (the title itself is supposedly in error), never mind the whitewashed politics and put aside the lengthy rugby segment at the end, INVICTUS is an inspirational and extremely well crafted film. Morgan Freeman well deserved the Oscar this earned him and he did indeed catch the magic of Mandela he spoke of in so many interviews promoting this picture. Matt Damon, though certainly a main character is mereley a sidebar much like the rugby itself but his scene in Mandela's actual prison cell is the stuff movie legends are made of. With South Africa holding he world cup of soccer at the moment this is a perfect time to rent this one if it hasn't already graced your screen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous mister anchovy said...

Wow. It's as if we saw different films. Tuffy and I saw this one on the big screen and left early. I usually like Morgan Freeman but I just wasn't buying what he was selling in this flick.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Ink Casualty said...

I hear you loud and clear but if you take it as a relief rather than a life portrait it is effective and certainly well crafted. Maybe the earthquake helped.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home