Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Vanilla Sky

It would be a mistake to simply write this one off as a remake of ABRE LOS OJOS (OPEN YOUR EYES), no, this one is even more of a mind-fuck than the original. Loaded with more pop culture references and in jokes than you could ever wrap your skull around, even AFTER multiple viewings, VANILLA SKY is one mighty complex and textured piece of work and if there is any complaint I have about it the title alone would be it. It was a buzz pharase in director Cameron Crowe's head and he was bloody determined to use it somewhere and here we have it and it has nothing at all to do with the film......and if it does I've yet to figure it out. Simply put, this is one to own and even if you are of the "I HATE TOM CRUISE" camp you will be stunned by his work here. IF FOR NO OTHER REASON, this one needs to be seen for the Time's Square sequence alone! It also doesn't hurt to have Penelope Cruz, also in the original, back in action and Cameron Diaz delivering some of her dirtiest lines ever and taking the whole "bunny boiler" concept to a completely new level. Great action, perfectly paced and guaranteed to leave you scratching your head, then again, if you're reading this blog you already know that...don't you? Just like you already know I still prefer the original!

2 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

We saw this one at the theatre and I recall it being pretty good, better than I expected.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember the movie. Though I have a difficult time with Tom Cruise anyway. I did like the title.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home