Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hancock

This is by far my sleeper pick for the summer of 2008. I have a bad habit of putting Will Smith films on the back burner, not sure why, and with so many franchise pieces being released this year I figured I would wait for the DVD. Other than I AM LEGEND I seem to always do this and then kick myself for not having gone to see it in the theatre as you will see when I get around to blogging I, ROBOT. As fate would have thing lined up so I could catch this right before THE DARK NIGHT and I must say I was mighty damned surprised at how much fun HANCOCK turned out to be. The first half had me in literal tears from laughing so hard and all I could keep thinking was if were a superhero I would be HANCOCK. Granted, I'm not black and I ain't no Will Smith but I sure as hell can be a cranky old boozer with a talent for breaking things! Jason Bateman of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT fame makes a great straight man and Charlize Theron brings a nice touch as mother with the patience of Job. In fact, I found I enjoyed this more than THE DARK KNIGHT. It's not a better film by any stretch of the imagination but I thought it was more original and there is a twist in HANCOCK I didn't see coming from a mile away. My biggest complaint would be with the way it was shot, very jerky and disjointed which distracts from the action in my opinion. Don't wait for the DVD, HANCOCK is worth the ten bucks to see on the big screen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martimer said...

Almost went yesterday ..... for sure I'll see it this week then.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Martimer said...

It was a fairly original spin on the "sacrifice for the greater good" theme.

Will is good. He does 'asshole' like he isn't trying.
Hancock ... What a jerk!

.... Theron is sexy as hell. Bateman is solid on the screen.

Even with the twist the story was thin.I was releived when it was over ... and felt I would have enjoyed this movie better from the couch.

To be fair though I was soaking wet from the rain ... in an air conditioned theatre.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home