Saturday, January 12, 2008

Step Up

Excluding foreign films I usually think it's a bad sign when the only actor I know in a film happens to be Heavy D....such was the case with STEP UP. Now, a Chilean friend of mine made it her New Year`s resolution to teach me how to salsa dance and believe me....I feel sorry for the poor woman from the bottom of my blackened heart. I just happen to be one of those white folks who Eddie Murphy used to enjoy making fun of when it comes to dancing so to say this lady has more than her work cut out for her would be a gross understatement. That aside, I try to pay attention to the dance flicks now just in case I might glean something by osmosis and in doing so noticed something about STEP UP I might have otherwise missed. It happens to be the directorial debut of Anne Fletcher who by all accounts is one of the busiest and most respected choreographers in Hollywood today and I guarantee you've seen her work even if you aren't aware of it. Hence, STEP UP is a great little dance show if that is all you are looking for. As a teen romance it's adequate...as a drama....I've seen Saturday cartoons with better substance. That being said.....the film is all about the dance and if this is what you are looking for you will be duly impressed. Now will somebody please tell me who the hell Channing Tatum is and why he's so bloody damn important!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home