Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Zodiac

A very odd offering from the great David Fincher indeed, so much so I had to keep pinching myself to remember ZODIAC was his work. One of the tightest hard boiled character studies I've ever seen on the effects a serial killer has on the individual and the community. Unlike Spike Lee's THE SUMMER OF SAM, this look at the work of the self dubbed Zodiac Killer never strays off course. No sidebar look at the events surrounding the happening Fincher sticks to the facts and nothing more. This is not a gratuitous splatter fest, it is an examination of the lives unfolding in the wake of the Zodiac's work and the effects on an intellectual viewer will be profound. Before seeing it I had strongly wondered how they would end this story and the case was unsolved and I must say the conclusion was far better than I could have imagined. Make sure to pause the ending notes as they are of great import...I missed them due to late night tired eyes and it was only when a friend clued me in as to what they said that my questions were put to rest. Slow moving for sure but well worth the effort.

1 Comments:

Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Damn right.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home