Friday, January 11, 2008

Superbad

I caught the first part of this one on the flight back to Halifax for the holidays and then was able to catch the second half of it on the return end. I was so surprised I had to hunt this one down to make sure the air pressure wasn't altering my judgement. People from genration X have been referring to SUPERBAD as the FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH high of the modern age....I think this may be taking things a tad bit too far but there is no doubt this crass little comedy had had an impact with the current teen set. Why? It's crude, it's sexy, it's outrageous and over the top and it's damn funny. Michael Cera is no surprise to me here.....his work on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT more than prepared him for his role here...the stunners for me were Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.....both of which I was prepared to hate, not only as characters but as actors, right from the get go. Both managed to knock my socks off and I'm sure I not only disturbed people on the plane but a few neighbors when I rewatched this last night. It sick and it's disturbed...exactly what a good teen comedy should be and every now and then such a thing can do the soul well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home