Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Deer Hunter

While most of the focus during Veteran's Week is on those who survied World War II we shouldn't forget those who suffered through Vietnam. THE DEER HUNTER is one of the most poignant look at the effects on the people who were involved in that war as you will ever find and I'm often surprised at how few of the younger generation have heard of it let alone see it. Robert De Niro does some of his finest work here and once again is surrounded by a power house cast that includes Merryl Streep, John Savage, George Dzundza and the late John Cazale. Speaking of Dzundza, he is like James Fox to me these days. I am stunned at just how many films he did character jobs in.....I always thought of him as a television actor but I'm suddenly remembering just how strong his screen presence was. As much as this film is about De Niro's character it is equal in focus on Christopher Walken's shell shocked burn-out character Nick. Brutally honest and accurate look at the devastation wreaked on family and individuals THE DEER HUNTER is perfect viewing for this week and while very much a Seventies film it still possesses a serious recoil, one you won't ever forget.

1 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

This is a most powerful film. I saw it again within the last couple years and I was surprised at how well it has held up. It has some flaws for sure. First, it would benefit from a little editing. Also the mountain scenes are pretty funny. I guess they are supposed to be the Alleghenies, but they look way more like Western mountains if you ask me. That's small stuff though. The acting is brilliant, and throughout, it feels so true. All that said, I don't think I want to see this one again for quite a while. It's a very tough film.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home