Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Boy in the Plastic Bubble

I damn near threw the fucking TV out the window when I saw this one back in the day and to add insult to injury I had to endure all of the girlies at school boo-fucking-hooing over how bleedin' sad it was. Frankly ...I can't say I feel much different about it thrity someodd years later though there are some interesting elements to it. It does serve as an early example of the talents John Travolta would use to rocket him to stardom and also show the talents of director Randal Kleiser who would use Travolta again in GREASE. Scream queen P.J. Soles who worked with Travolta in CARRIE is also here as is Kelly Ward who would also show up in GREASE. Odd to see Ralph Bellamy here just as it is to see Robert Reed in a non BRADY BUNCH context and how in hell's name they snagged astronaut Buzz Aldrin for a cameo remains a mystery to me to this day. Typical seventies sappy pablum I do have to admit Glyniss O'Connor was smokin' hot in a bikini back then. Should be avoiding like a bamboo shoot up the eurethra unless you are trying to score some major chick points and you might be shocked to know this was an early scoring project for Mark Snow who would go on the write the now infamous X-FILES theme.

1 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

I am not a reliable critic when it comes to this movie. I was very young when I saw it and thought Travolta was the shit. My girlfriends and I loved this movie...and it stays somehow in my developmental memory of loving movies. I know now it is a made for tv movie...a genre I didn't use as dicerning back in the day. I haven't seen it in forever...and will probably just let it stay protected a s a childhood memeory ha ha.

I am sure it sucked but I loved it ha ha. I have had a life long love of Travolta ever since.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home