Sunday, October 28, 2007

Basic Instinct

I find it hard to imagine the Paul Verhoeven film is only fifteen years old. I say this because it is already extremely dated. Putting this aside, it still has Sharon Stone in one of her more outstanding performances and her quote on the famous ``flashing the beaver`` scene is on of my all-time faves...."you can see all the way to Nebraska!". Michael Douglas is pretty straight forward here but very effective as the troubled cop on the trail of a murderer. Verhoeven for sure borrows heavily from Hitchcock, as many have, and with a tight little script to work with the results are more than satisfying. The sex scene will strike nobody today as being a big deal and truth be told I couldn't figure out what all of the fuss was about back in the day. George Dzundza is here in one of his very best support roles as is the X-FILES Mitch Pileggi. Jeanne Tripplehorn made her big screen debut with BASIC INSTINCT and adds some serious heat to this psycho sexual chili and if anybody can spot the great Anne Lockhart in the disco scene please let me know as I've never been able to find her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home