Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Kingdom of Heaven

My old friend C.J. down in Jacksonville, Florida was howling away at me about how much I needed to see this film...so much so she sent a copy of it up to me in a stop smoking care package. I've not yet stopped smoking ( I will!!!!!) but I have watched this film....three times in the last couple of days in fact. As I'm a big fan of Ridley Scott's work (how can you not be) I think the reason I avoided KINGDOM OF HEAVEN was because of the glut of Hollywood ancient epics abounding at the time. Starting with Scott's own GLADIATOR and followed by everything from TROY to ALEXANDER it just seemed to be too much. However, this look at the second crusades and the seige of Jerusalem in my mind is a far cry above the pack. Yes, Orlando Bloom is perhaps too cute for the lead but he does carry himself with an air of strength needed for the role and overall his work is great. Liam Neeson comes and goes far too quickly for my liking but it was the nature of the character. No, the real surprises here are Alexander Siddig and Brendon Gleeson who both turn in some excellent work. Jeremy Irons is, as usual, a sight to behold and believe it or not that is Edward Norton as the leper King Baldwin. Eva Green is also a sight to behold as the romantic lead even if that wasn't the way it went down in the history books. Speaking of which, should you decide to rent or buy this one be sure to grab the double disc set as the second disc has two excellent A&E shows, one on the actual history on which the film is based and another one about how Hollywood alters history for the sake of a good story. Ridley Scott, as always, delivers one mighty battle packed wollop with this one but here, moreso than his other work, is far more mettle as he examines the heart and motivation of man under the banner of religion and ideals. In closing here I must mention Ghassan Massoud, This is his first film and his work as the great Islamic hero Saladin is heart stopping. One of the best bits of casting ever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHHHH I am so very glad you liked it. It is so difficult to come accross a movie these days that you want to see again and when you do you see something you didn't see befor. Fabulous movie!!!!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home