Monday, October 20, 2008

The Reflecting Skin

I suppose the highest compliment I can pay this one would be this is the time of horror film I would have made. With THE REFLECTING SKIN Philip Ridley combines his many skills as a painter, writer, director into what is truly a moving picture and let me tell you it is no pretty sight. Mind you, it is in fact a very pretty sight having been shot in Alberta it seems at times a cross between a David Lynch film and a Van Gogh. There are several stories going on, none of which I care to discuss here as it will ruin the effect but I will say it is an early work of Viggo Mortensen and is certainly a showcase piece for Lindsay Duncan recently ROME fame and Robert Koons damn near steals the film as Sheriff Ticker. While I call this a horror film this is not one of the things jumping out of the dark and going boo! No, with this the darkness is everywhere, right there out in the light and it seeps through everything. There are images and events in THE REFLECTING SKIN you may never forget and they are put together in such a way this film could very well haunt you for the rest of your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home