Friday, October 17, 2008

Amadeus

This 1984 Milos Forman film dominated the Academy Awards and while on many levels I can understand there is one that I do not and it is the portrayal of Mozart himself. Truth be told, if had that stupid laugh Tom Hulce gave to him I imagine somebody would have cut his head off. Yes, Mozart did have a crass side and certainly liked his wine, women and song but I simply can't wrap muy head around him being the idiot he is portrayed as in AMADEUS. That aside, it is one mighty fine piece of film work and F. Murray Abraham more than deserved his Oscar for his portrayal of Salieri and though I mock the laugh Hulce uses there are moments of acting gemology he brings to the table here making this a damn fine viewing experience.

3 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

I recall leaving the theatre not understanding what the hype was about.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this movie. Considering his age and the fact that he was a motherless child under a dominating father, acting like a child is not too far off. He did write his first full Opera at the age of 12, and was pushed into the sicial scene as a prodogy. We all know that boys let alone men grow emotionally and mentally at a very slow rate. Having him portayed as a adolesent in a "mature" body is not too unbelievable, especially a genious. I loved it! Though if he giggled like that in bed...after the the 20th time I would have to kick him out....

9:42 AM  
Blogger Martimer said...

... I don't think he would have lived as long as he did with a laugh like that either... at least not with his fingers not broken to pieces .. or perhaps cut off with a sword in fine 18th Century "Cotton Club" style.

Funny blurb.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home