Monday, July 07, 2008

Scarlet Diva

Because I had heard so many negative things about this, from bad acting to bad writing to arrogant direction etc., I let it sit on my shelf for years before finally getting around to giving it a proper viewing. One of the many mistakes I've made in this life! SCARLET DIVA is the feature directorial debut of Asia Argento, she of the Italian family of horror film making greats and here, while doing triple duty as writer and star as well, she presents a different type of horror. That of fame, sex, drugs and their horrid consequences. I'll let you discover this one for yourself, it's a extremely complex yet simple peice of work and where she has been roasted for trying to be too artsy with her blocking shots is where I think she is best. The shooting style lends to the frenetic development of the characters and while I would never say this one will garner mainstream interest it is a far cry above the cult status it has been fated to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home