Friday, April 11, 2008

Magnolia

It is well known the readers here how much I loathe this Paul Thomas Anderson film. When it came out it struck me as the type of movie the masses praise because they don't have the guts to say they had no clue what it was about. Chance and fate is what it's about and I will confess it was a tad more enjoyable on my most recent viewing than I had expected. The acting is top drawer all the way, no doubt about that but with this type if intertwined opus I just can't help but feel I'm watching a Robert Altman film. Tom Cruise is excellent and I have to wonder if he wasn't watching old Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels wrestling tapes before filming started because his character seems to have borrowed heavily from the two. AND I will give MAGNOLIA one thumb up for the falling frogs...one sequence is just amazing!

1 Comments:

Blogger * (asterisk) said...

For me, Magnolia is a great movie, and I'm surprised that I have read a few reviews of it recently that disagree with me! Love it. And even though it is long, and it's admittedly not as great as Boogie Nights, I've still watched it three or four times.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home