Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Gattaca

It doesn't matter to me how great GATTACA is as a modern work of science fiction.....I am unable to watch it without being distracted by Ethan Hawke. I mean, the guy is one mighty fine actor and as an accomplished novelist I'm led to believe he has an adequate brain inside of that skull of his. So please.....please somebody explain to me how do you go and fuck up a good thing ya gots going with the likes of Uma Thurman ?!?!?!?!?!?! That aside, GATTACA is one of the most stylish and intelligent little futristic films to come down the pipeline in ages. Very similar in feel and often compared wrongly to BLADERUNNER, GATTACA's strong points come not from special effects but from a strongly developed story and stunning character points. I must say Thurman is perfect in the genetically sterile enviroment and Jude Law gives yet another beautiful performance in his understated style. Some interesting support work is provided by Alan Arkin, Elias Koteas, Tony Shalhoub and happily we get to see Xander Berkeley on the big screen and even a cameo from SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE's Maya Rudolph. Still, when it gets right down to it GATTACA works mostly because of the directing style of Andrew Niccol who has a razor eye for this sort of material.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen this movie dare I say, more than a few time, every time it is even better, there is so much to see. If you like the thought of a "sterile" furture then this is the film for you, I'm too eclectic, I just love the concept and of course a man with 6 fingers!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home