Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Seven Years in Tibet

Many people I know have a problem with this film, the biggest being Brad Pitt's accent. I too have had a problem with it over the years and I must say in this case he is to be forgiven. I can't honestly say I know what Heinrich Harrer's voice or accent sounds like. What I do know is Pitt does a wonderful job portraying the transformation of Harrer from an arrogant self serving dick to a sensitive and thoughtful man and that is what this film is really about....a man's transformation. Another complaint is how this Jean-Jacques Annaud film strayed away from Harrer's book. This complaint is a valid one but, much like the complaint of the film being in English, films are made to make money and we often forget this...compromises had to be made in order to release a successful product. I think Annaud did the best he could with his hands tied. This is a very special film with a special message and visuals to match, through these eyes one should find it easy to forgive it's minor shortcomings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home