Saturday, September 08, 2007

Battlefield Earth

Bashing this John Travolta film almost seems to be a national passtime and I'm not entirely sure why. Is the acting as bad as people say? Yes and no. I suppose it would depend on how truly serious Travolta was with the whole project. Granted, he was serious enough about his dream to put this L. Ron Hubbard novel to screen, so much so most of the funding came out of his own pocket and for this alone I think he should be applauded. As for the acting...well..I've seen better work in early DR. WHO. That being said, if one goes into this baby as they would an old sci-fi B flick matinee then there are rewards to be had. Watching Forrest Whitaker as an alien war lord was worth it alone for me and seeing Barry Pepper trying to do a Charlton Heston sure was a hoot. Travolta's wife Kelly Preston is there to look at as is Sabine Karsenti and the special effects are nowhere as bad as people would have you believe. Overall, the film really isn't as bad either, I suppose it comes down to what you're expecting from it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home