Saturday, September 08, 2007

Braveheart

As much as I enjoy this film I can't help but think of it as nothing more than LETHAL WEAPON set in old Scotland. Mel Gibson certainly delivers the goods both as star and director and Patrick McGoohan is an absolute treasure in the role of King Edward I. The fact Catherine McCormack and Sophie Marceau are here certainly doesn't help. I can well remember back in the day people complaining about the perfect teeth and how clean they were, a valid enough issue I suppose, but it's a fucking film meant to entertain not to be a precise reenactment of the battle for Scotland's freedom. Mind you, I've never bothered to find out if William Wallace had blue eyes or not. Still, if you approach it as you would one of the "cast of thousands" oldies but goodies you will not be disappointed. If nothing else, the scene where Longshanks Sr. pushes junior "war council" out of the tower window makes this a must see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home