Monday, August 13, 2007

Conspiracy Theory

Mel Gibson absolutely soars in his portrayal of a paranoid taxi driver who believes "they" are out to get him. Of course they are out to get him...wouldn't be much of a film now if they weren't! What gets even better is "they" happens to be led by the great Patrick Stewart who takes off the captain's pips to don the nose of one serious black opps psycho. Oh, and Julia Roberts runs around looking pretty and serious and riding horses and stuff like that while shit blows up and people shoot the crap out of everything. This is about all I want to tell you about this Richard Donner film and if you've never seen it this is all you'll WANT to know for now. I simply love Donner's directorial style and on his worst day he can film make circles around most and you can see him in the back of Mel's cab in the opening shot of CONSPIRACY THEORY. If it's action with lots of "gravy" you want then this Bud's for you!

2 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

Although I don't have a lot of Mel Gibson tolerance, and even less for Julia Roberts, I liked this film. I've seen it twice in fact, and I think it holds up. It is well-written, well-acted and pieced together beautifully.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Yeah, this one really was perfect despite Julia Roberts being in it. Actually I have grown to like Julia Roberts now in direct proportion to the crappy acting of Penelope Cruz. I enjoy Roberts now...since MY BEST FRIENDS WEDDING when she played an unlikeable character I gained a lot of respect for her skills and choice. I thought this story was so good...and it's one of those movies that when it comes on tv, I often land up watching it again. It's pretty much perfect.

Um, I just got a second hand copy of Pattern Recognition by William Gibson and a sale copy of Spook Country last night.

I loved Gibson, but he lost me after Differnce Engine and a pal said Paterrn Recognitin was excellent...so I'm looking forward to revisiting my love affair with him...read the first few pages and am hooked.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home