Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Mist

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I have many problems with this film and the first is with director Frank Darabont. After his work with THE GREEN MILE and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION one can expect him to know what he's doing and in THE MIST is sure seems at times he doesn't. One scene stands out in particualr and this is at the loading dock in the back of the supermarket. This is where we first see one of the beasties, in this case a bunch of tentacles, and I was gobsmacked at how this was directed. Slow, no proper use of stingers, no scare and just drawn out dull and I kept asking myself what the bloody hell is Darabont doing here?!?!?!?!? This is monster film 101 stuff and if he was trying to be clever by prolonging the sequence it didn't work, as a matter of fact the whole film doesn't work. CGI ghoulies galore a scary film do not make and by the time we get to the ending, which is by far one of the best in ages in a Stephen King adapted film, you simply don't care and truth be told is you only care when the religious nutbar lady gets the bullet between the eyes. I hate to say this but I would have loved to have seen James Cameron direct this in the ALIENS fashion, it would have been a super dust-up and I feel he would have made better use of that King trademark which is taking the everyday ordinary and turning it into a nightmare and THE MIST is a nightmare alright, just not the kind you want to spend money or time on. Shame on you Darabont.......you know better!

2 Comments:

Blogger Martimer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Martimer said...

I was lucky on this film.
Perfect timing. Sleepy and bored together on a Sunday morning drinking coffee waiting for a Soccer game. Nothing but famine releif and zealot TV otherwise... I couldn't lose.

I already paid the rental anyway! Three Bux in my barrio.

When I was first exposed to what was in the mist.. I felt that pall come over me. To drag it out like that ... I really would have missed the "Director being clever" take.... but it makes perfect sense. It was bad.

However!
I did feel like I watched a Stephen King movie.. which is all one could ever expect.

Mmmmm I love Stephen King movies.

...... gotta wait for that ending!

I'm sitting here lost in imagination of a Cameron version of this. Has he ever done a King movie?

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home