Friday, April 04, 2008

Antwone Fisher

Considering the number of awards and nominations this one received it's amazing it never even got a sniff from the Academy come Oscar time. I'm not sure if this bothered Denzel Washington, who both directs and stars in this moving true life story. In my opinion it shouldn't, he delivers a film dealing with some serious issues that manages to be touching without sappy, serious with being too preachy and entertaining to boot. It's one of those rare modern pieces of work that I feel will stand the test of time and will be just as powerful fifty years from now as it is in the here and now. Do yourself a favor and rent it so you can see it commercial free as you will not want the distractions....and make sure there is a box of Kleenex because this one can make the staunchest of cynics cry!

1 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

I didn't see the film, but I did read the book, which was, well - OK.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home