Thursday, January 24, 2008

Halloween

I must admt I had some small concerns when I heard Rob Zombie was going to helm the prequel/remake of the Michael Myers story. This has nothing to do with Zombie's ability as a director, on the contrary I was more worried about the studios pissing around with his artistic control on this project. I gather I needn't have bothered as when I watched this the other night it was everything you've come to expect from a Zombie film. Much like he all gives it up live, just like he did when I saw him open for Ozzy Osbourne at the ACC Monday evening, his approach to horror is of the over the top straight forward knock your fucking head clean off movement. Not only does he run a tight directorial ship his hand controls the scripting as well and he has single handedly breathed life back into a sadly tired franchise. Not sure if we'll get Malcolm McDowell back as Dr. Loomis but let us hope if they bother with a sequel that we see Tyler Mane back as Myers. Sure, it may not seem like much of a role but his stature and lumbering demeanor is perfect for the role and far better suited to others he's done such as Sabretooth in the X-MEN film. Also worth noting is the love Zombie has of this genre and it not only shows in how he handles the subject matter but in the way he uses so many veteran horror actors in all of his films. HALLOWEEN is no exception and you'll have even more fun on the second viewing trying to place the names to the faces your seeing. Full googleskullplex rating on this morbid baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home