Thursday, January 24, 2008

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This film has always been a bot of a conundrum to me. Those who like it more often than not do not enjoy the series and vice versa. Myself, I avoided the television show fearing it to be another FRIDAY THE 13th or STARGATE......as Buffy would say..."my bad". I now enjoy them both and you should too. The comparisons between Kristy Swanson and Sarah Michelle Gellar are totally unfair. There were years between the two projects and Gellar certainly had years to endear herself to the fan base. Swanson does an excellent job as the cheerleader turned monster killer and Donald Sutherland is great in his role as her watcher. Yes, it's another one of his "pay me and I'll act in anything" but I do like his leering aspect when he looks at Buffy which certainly wasn't there in Anthony Stewart Head's character Giles. Joss Whedon of course scripted this one marking his first foray to the big screen and it is directed by now long time coworker Fran Rubel Kuzui who has earlier had a modest hit with TOKYO POP. Rutger Hauer, who seem to be from the same school of "pay me" as Sutherland is adequate as the head vampire but the real surprises come from the supporting cast. Luke Perry is actually quite fun to watch as is David Arquette who is freaking great in a great homage scene to SALEM'S LOT. Also very, very funny is Paul "Pee Wee" Reubens who may have the greatest death in film history here. Oscar winner Hilary Swank makes her big screen debut here and sadly shows none of the talent she would later exibit and if you look closely you can catch Ben "yes...I'm from Bawsten and I went to the same acting school as Sawtherland and Hower....pay me!" Affleck as a basketball player. Good ghoulie action fun and at least interesting as a precusor to the television series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home