Friday, May 11, 2007

Artificial Intelligence: AI

Stanley Kubrick worked on this project, inspired by the Brian Aldiss short story, in the final eight or nine years before his death, finally handing off his notes and designs to Steven Spielberg, who, upon release of the film was treated worse than some of the robots he featured. I can't be bothered going in to the fine points of if it is a good film or not.....yes...it has some problems but you'll either like it or you won't! I loved it and on my recent viewing, which I suspect is my 30th or so, I loved it even more. I'm sure I read SUPERTOYS LAST ALL SUMMER LONG when I was a youngen as I went through a serious Aldiss phase but I don't seem to recall him going so heavy on the Pinocchio parallel, it doesn't really matter, here it works. Haley Joel Osment puts in another stunning performance to add to his resume and Jude Law is just bloody awesome. Hell, even William Hurt brings an emotion or so to the table.......but who I really want to talk about is the great voice actor Jack Angel who gives life to Teddy. Under normal circumstances I would simply loathe a character such as Teddy but he plays such a pivotal role in the story and utilized so properly there is no way I cannot like him. Also of note is the band at the FLESH FAIR, those would be my boys MINISTRY who were actually chosen by Kubrick who heard their work on set whilst shooting EYES WIDE SHUT. Well worth the three hours you will need to invest to watch this one but please, let me warn you first....you will want to watch it again.

Also let me warn you...if women and children are watching it with you......you'll need a bloody case, not a box, of Kleenex

and does anybody know if the rumour of Aldiss helping Kubrick and Clarke out with 2001 is true?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home