Monday, April 02, 2007

A Low Down Dirty Shame

I like Keenan Ivory Wayans...come to think of it...I like all of the Wayans. Keenen wrote, directed and stars in this not so vain homage to the Shaft films and the results are surprisingly not as bad as many critics would have you believe. I must say thought, rather than this being the Keenan Ivory Wayan show it is in truth the Jada Pinkett show. As Peaches she steals the film in every scene she is in. Makes me feel for old Wil Smith too because if Jada is anything like Peaches when she gets mad...well...let's just say that is one celebrity dog house I don't ever want to check in to! I should also mention next to Paul Newman and his wife, Pinket and Smith are my favorite Hollywood couple. I don't profess to know them but they sure do seem to know what the hell they're doing as a family and more power to them for it! Also worth noting is Corwin Hawkins in a supporting role as Peaches' transvestite room mate. From what I've read, he was not acting in this role at all...the lady was really like this and it's fucking hilarious to watch. Sadly, Hawkins passed away of pneumonia (yeah, I know...isn't it always pneumonia for the gay of heart) in 1994 and this is his only legacy on film though I've been told bootlegs of her stand-up work a floating around. In closing, this film is worth a close look as there is a lot more here than readily meets the eye, speaking of eyes, watch out for the scene with the attack dogs...bloody priceless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home