Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Je vous salue, Marie (Hail Mary)

I won't for a second deny Jean-Luc Godard's influence on modern cinema, what I do wonder however is what kind of medication he was on when making this film. Here we have the old master working out some Catholic guilt thingy in the guise of a modern day virgin birth and the supposed second coming of Christ. At least, this is what I think it's about. I've seen this film maybe a dozen times and honestly, call me ignorant if you will, I haven't a fucking clue what Jean-Luc is on about. The film was banned for some time due to protests from various religious groups.....it should have been banned for not making any damn sense. All this aside, there are all kinds of nice visuals and philsophical concepts to keep you busy on a Sunday morning. For instance, those with a foot fetish will enjoy his homage to walking fashion and the idea of ants creating music I found quite compelling. In all reality I think the only reason Godard made this film was to have Myriem Roussel run around naked for hours on end and there sure as hell ain't nothing wrong with that though in this modern day of the Brazilian wax the bush on her might send the ladies screaming in disgust. A young Juliette Binoche spends a lot of time in the sunshine here as well and listening to them all babble in their native French tongue is all well and good but I might recommend turning the sound off and crankinng up the Ramones instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home