Friday, September 14, 2007

Storm of the Century

Well, we could go two ways with this one. When I first watched in on television I thought it was utter crap. When I again watched it on video, I thought it was utter crap with promise. On a third viewing I'm of the mind it is crap that ain't all that bad. As one of the glut of Stephen King made for television mini-series this one at least has an ending that won't make you cringe and want to check the TV out the window. I suppose the hardest part of watching this one for me is A-King has done this character ensemble time and time again and God it's getting boring, and B-the accents are fucking horrible. I mean, worse than BRAVEHEART or ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES. This actors can't figure out if they're in Scotland, Ireland or friggin' London and seeing as I'm from the East Coast it annoyed the bloody hell out of me! Still, what keeps this one moving is two strong performances in particular, one from Colm Feore and the other from Tim Daly. The four hours it takes for the story to unwind is carried fully on their backs and it is because of them that STORM OF THE CENTURY actually does succeed as a compelling drama. Not for all to be sure but certainly better than the majority of the King TV films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home